If you’re looking to slim down…
Start drinking more water.
That’s right… According to research published in Annals of Family Medicine, water intake may play a key role in how heavy you are.1
In the study, researchers recorded the height, weight, and hydration level of participants.
What they found was incredible –
The less-hydrated people were 1.59 times more likely to be obese than people who drank enough!
Now, scientists aren’t sure exactly how water intake affects weight…
But they think it may simply make you feel more full during the day, and therefore less likely to overeat.
But there’s one thing they do know for sure – Swapping sugary drinks for water is always a good idea.2
I gave up canned sodas years ago… and have more energy, and less of a belly because of it!
My go-to healthy drink is soda water with lemon… but every so often, I like to switch it up.
And lately, one of my favorites is this Cranberry Lime Sparkler. I call it my healthy soda recipe.
It’s packed with polyphenols and vitamin C – so it’s not only delicious, it’s also good for you.
Dr. Cary’s Healthy Soda Recipe
Ingredients (Serves 4):
½ cup unsweetened cranberry juice (NOT cranberry cocktail – 100% Cranberry juice)
2 tablespoons granulated stevia (or more, to taste)*
¼ cup fresh or frozen whole cranberries
Juice of 2 limes
4 cups sparkling water
Fresh mint, for garnish
Lime wedges, for garnish
*Stevia is the only no-calorie sweetener I like, but feel free to use whatever works best for you and your diet…you can also use a little honey if you’d prefer. Liquid stevia also works – just add 4-5 drops.
1. In a small saucepan, combine the cranberry juice, stevia and whole cranberries, and bring to a simmer until stevia is completely dissolved – about 3 minutes.
2. Taste, and adjust sweetness accordingly – it should only be slightly sweet.
3. Let cool completely, and store in the fridge until you’re ready to make your sparkler.
4. Whisk lime juice into the cranberry mixture, and divide between 4 glasses (or pour into a pitcher!)
5. Top with ice, and divide the sparkling water between the 4 glasses. Garnish with mint and lime.
And that’s it! This healthy soda recipe is a tasty and a great way to stay hydrated.
So try it out for yourself, and enjoy.
Dr. Cary Nelson
For more health tips, keep reading:
1.Chang, T., Ravi, N., Plegue, M. A., Sonneville, K. R. and Davis, M. M. Inadequate Hydration, BMI, and Obesity Among US Adults: NHANES 2009-2012
2.Daniels, M. C. and Popkin, B. M. Impact of water intake on energy intake and weight status: a systematic review